English Civil War Firelocks in 28mm

Photo of Three painted Warlord Games firelock regiments

Reaching peak firelock

I decided to paint some firelocks for my 28mm English Civil War forces. The plan being to start painting armies with a small amount of figures. Also to create forces for The Pikeman’s Lament rules.

Firelocks were infantry armed with muskets with flint firing mechanism instead of the more common burning match. This made them much safer around combustible items like powder.  This may have been offset by the fondness for clay pipes in the 17th-century though!

I used the Warlord Games plastic firelock figures because I had gathered quite a lot of them. By the time I finished I probably had more firelocks than Charles I and Cromwell combined! I also made some baggage for them to guard.

Assembling and painting the firelocks

The figures are simple castings and fit together easily. Not the the most exciting of figures but they do the job well. I used spare hats from other Warlord Games plastics for this period for variety. For a sergeant for each company I used pieces from the command sprue and a pikeman body. Again from the English Civil War plastics range.

I use plastic figures because they are cheap and I don’t feel obliged to spend ages painting them! So an undercoat of Humbrol dark brown matt enamel was followed by acrylics. I use Citadel base colours and Vallejo Heavy Colours because they cover well. A varnish with Humbrol matt enamel varnish and job done. I based them on Renedra plastic bases and used my own mix of basing gunk.

I painted a red and a blue uniformed unit to represent the Oxford Army of 1643. The idea being to use these for the western battles.

The third unit was painted grey with some orange tawny hat bands to depict a generic Parliamentarian regiment.

Baggage to guard

Firelock guards are recorded as protecting vital stores like powder. So I made an ammunition cart and a water cart. I used 4Ground MDF models assembled with PVA glue, undercoated with Wilko spray undercoat and finished with acrylics.

The MDF models were easy to assemble although some parts are fragile. Breakages are easily fixed with a spot of PVA though! The only shortcoming is detail is only on one side of the parts. For example, where the inside of a wheel is visible the surface is plain. This shouldn’t put you off I think because it’s only visible on close inspection.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

About Rick Lawrence

Making models and playing tabletop games since the late 1960s, and still enjoying it! Now working in heritage and dabbing around with photography, with quality cafe time when I can.

2 responses to “English Civil War Firelocks in 28mm”

  1. markhurley96 says :

    Excellent figures and a good read! I’m currently doing my research on creating a tabletop war game for the English civil war!

Please leave a reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: